In the month of May, the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) will feature two webcasts from the ICU Liberation series. Registration is complimentary for all participants.
Road Map for Implementing the New ABCDEF Bundle in Your ICU
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
2:00 p.m. Central Time
Register online today
Mary Ann Barnes-Daly, RN, BSN, CCRN, DC, clinical performance improvement consultant at Sutter Health, and Juliana Barr, MD, FCCM, associate professor of anesthesiology, perioperative and pain medicine at Stanford University and staff anesthesiologist and intensivist at VA Palo Alto Health Care System, will provide a strategy for intensive care unit (ICU) teams striving to implement the new ABCDEF bundle. Faculty will examine the new element of the bundle: family engagement and empowerment. The bundle includes:
A = Assess, Prevent and Manage Pain
B = Both Spontaneous Awakening Trials and Spontaneous Breathing Trials
C = Choice of Sedation
D = Delirium: Assess, Prevent and Manage
E = Early Mobility and Exercise
F = Family Engagement and Empowerment
- Review elements of the new ABCDEF bundle
- Develop a mental model for successful implementation of bundle elements in an ICU
Successfully Overcoming Assessment and Treatment Challenges for ICU Pain
Thursday, May 28, 2015
1:00 p.m. Central Time
Register online today
Pain management in the ICU may be difficult because of a patient’s severity of injury and unstable health status. During this session, Céline Gélinas, PhD, RN, associate professor of nursing at McGill University, Aaron M. Joffe, DO, associate professor, Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine at Harborview Medical Center, and Kathleen Puntillo, RN, PhD, FAAN, FCCM, professor emerita of nursing, at University of California, San Francisco, will provide an overview of the landscape of pain assessment and management in ICU patients within the context of the ABCDEF bundle and offer suggestions for interventions. The presentation will conclude with a question-and-answer segment.
- Describe the importance of pain assessment and analgesic management within the framework of the ABCDEF bundle
- Discuss the assessment of pain in non-communicative patients through use of the Critical-Care Pain Observation Tool (CPOT)
- Evaluate pharmacological options for treating pain in critically ill patients
- Provide answers to frequently asked questions about pain assessment and management challenges that occur in critical care practice
The ICU Liberation Initiative aims to engage clinicians in improving practice and patient outcomes related to pain, agitation, delirium, and early mobility.
If you have any questions regarding either webcast, please contact SCCM Customer Service at +1 847 827-6888.